Carleton-sur-mer, Que. Monument
PUTTING DOWN ROOTS
Chaleur Bay forms part of the territory of the Mi’gmaq, known as the “people of the sea”. Their traditional camping place was in Tlagatigatj (Tracadièche) where they fished the rich waters of the bay and performed rituals on the mountain.
In 1767, with the help of the Mi’gmaq and led by Charles Dugas, Acadian families settled in Tracadièche, an area that stretched from Cap Noir to Miguasha Point. The surnames of these founding families were: Alain, Boudreau, Comeau, Dugas and LeBlanc.
Having fled the Deportation of 1755 and the Isle Saint- Jean Deportation of 1758, they passed through the refugee camp on the Miramichi, on the Nepisiguit, and in Petite Rochelle at the mouth of the Restigouche River. After settling in Bonaventure, these families petitioned the British authorities to move permanently to Tracadièche.
Over the years they were joined in Tracadièche by other families, some of whom had been deported to England and France.
The 1777 census of the little community indicates that there were 183 men, women and children living off the land, the sea and the forest – a way of life perpetuated by their descendants.
Although the locality was renamed Carleton in 1787, the name Tracadièche still remains strong in the collective memory.
Source : texte inscrit sur le Monument.