THE ACADIE OF CAPE SABLE
The original Cape Sable region stretched from Chegoggin to Le Passage (Barrington Passage). As early as 1583, a French merchant was trading with the Mi’kmaq in this region. Around 1620, Charles SaintÉtienne de La Tour built a permanent trading post. In 1653, Philippe Mius d’Entremont founded Pobomcoup (Pubnico), a stable settlement devoted primarily to fishing.
Three deportations took place in the Cape Sable region. In 1756, the Acadians in Le Passage were deported to Boston. In 1758, nine families in Cheggogin were taken to Halifax and deported to Le Havre in France. The inhabitants of Chebogue, Abuptic, Pobomcoup and Tousquet had escaped the British soldiers, but, in 1759, 152 of them were captured and transported to Halifax, then deported to Cherbourg in France.
Acadian families returned to the region in 1767, but their lands were already occupied by British settlers. Nevertheless, they settled on both sides of Pubnico Harbor, in Wedgeport, Amiraults Hill and Sainte-Annedu- Ruisseau. Other families arrived later after an odyssey of almost twenty years. Fishing, shipbuilding, coastal shipping and overseas trade became their main economic activities. Honor and gratitude to our ancestors!
Source : texte inscrit sur le Monument.