In 1768, the arrival of Acadians robbed of their lands greatly increased the number of inhabitants in the future parish of Sainte-Marguerite-of-Blairfindie. A settlement had been established around 1750 in Petite-Rivière-de- Montréal, named after the river now called L’Acadie that flows through the area.
Exiled from Memramcook, Port-Royal, Grand-Pré and Rivière-aux-Canards, their peregrinations, led them first to New-England then to an area they called La Cadie, then La Nouvelle-Cadie, then La Petite-Cadie, and finally L’Acadie in memory of the homeland taken from them in 1755.
In 1801, the Acadians living along the upper Petite River built a church, a true monument to the continuity of the Acadian people. It still stands today on the Presque isle given by the Acadian Jacques Hébert, nephew of the couple who inspired the heroes in Napoleon Bourassa’s novel Jacques et Marie, souvenir d’un peuple dispersé.
Let us honor the courage and perseverance of families with the name Babin, Béliveau, Boudreau, Bourg, Brault, Brun, Bourgeois, Cire, Comeau, Clouâtre, Daigle, Doucet, Dugas, Dupuis, Forest, Gaudet, Gaudreau, Girouard, Granger, Hébert, Lafaille, Landry, Lanoue, LeBlanc, Lord, Melançon, Michel, Poirier, Richard, Thibault, Thibodeau, Trahan and all the others who settled in L’Acadie and whose descendants took up arms in the war of 1812 and the Patriote Rebellions. Let us celebrate here the survival and the tenacity of this people
Source : texte inscrit sur le Monument.