THE ACADIANS OF CLARE
In respond to requests from Acadians, in July 1768 the Lieutenant-Governor of Nova-Scotia, Michael Franklin, had a large tract of land along St. Mary’s Bay surveyed and named it the Township of Clare. The 62 lots created were specifically designated for Acadian Families, a number of whom were living near the forts in Annapolis Royal, Windsor and Halifax.
Having escaped the deportation in 1755, these families were hunted down by British soldiers. Some of them took refuge in the Camp d’Espérance on the Miramichi River and in a camp on the Restigouche River. They were eventually captured and taken prisoner.
The first family settled in Clare in the winter of 1768. Gradually other families established themselves on their land grants. They were joined by several Acadians from Massachusetts, where they had been deported. Close family ties united all these founding families.
Clare became the largest and most homogeneous of Acadian population of Nova-Scotia. Since 1836 the Acadians of Clare have benefited from an almost uninterrupted presence in the provincial Legislature.
Source : texte inscrit sur le Monument.