LA PETITE-ROCHELLE, SYMBOL OF THE ACADIAN RESISTANCE
The settlement of La Petite-Rochelle dates back to 1758. Located near the mouth of the Restigouche River, it was a place of refuge for Acadians fleeing the deportations and for privateers. It consisted of about 200 dwellings, and its population of about 900 survived destitution and starvation.
In May 1760, after being pursued by the British navy, ships from the French navy anchored in the Restigouche River Basin. The French fleet was destroyed during the Battle of the Restigouche (June-July 1760), in which the Acadian militia fought alongside Mi’kmaw warriors. La Petite- Rochelle was destroyed on 2 July 1760. In the fall of 1761, a number of the refugees from La Petite-Rochelle were captured and taken to Fort Cumberland and to Halifax.
Numerous refugees from La Petite-Rochelle founded new settlements scattered around the Bay of Chaleur. Others settled elsewhere in the Atlantic region and even in France and Louisiana. Later, descendants of Acadians from La Petite-Rochelle settled along both sides of the Restigouche River. Inspired by the courage of their ancestors, they participated in the Acadian renaissance.
Source : texte inscrit sur le Monument.